Bazaar wish - Removal of the title bar

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for ShellEnhancer here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Bazaar wish - Removal of the title bar

Postby DrWorm » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:07 am

I know this sounds stupid, and I don't expect any serious consideration of this wish (it's most likely impossible), but I've always thought that Windows' windows are flawed because of the title bar. It's only used to display the application name (which you can see in the taskbar) and so you can drag the window.

My "wish" is to have the title bar removed. The active application would be manipulated using the corners of the screen. It's easy enough to have the active application minimise, maximise, restore and close this way.

The only functionality lost would be the ability to move, which is already partially solved with X-Window hotkey. But my wish would be to click on a screen corner and drag the active application without actually clicking on the application window.

Ideally the taskbar button would provide all the functionality of the titlebar including the ability to quickly close (middle click?) and move a window by clicking and draging the taskbar button.

Some of these ideas (probably all) are beyond the scope of ShellEnhancer and may not be possible in any case. But this is my "wish" :wink:
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:19 am

My first reaction was "Wow" .... :D

... then i started to think a bit further about it and in fact some of the ideas are perfectly possible i guess. Removing the titlebar would be easy i guess.
The only functionality lost would be the ability to move, which is already partially solved with X-Window hotkey. But my wish would be to click on a screen corner and drag the active application without actually clicking on the application window.
This will be weird to use i think. You mean that you click on one of the corners of your screen (=monitor) and then drag the active window? I think that's a bit tricky to implement and to use.

Ideally the taskbar button would provide all the functionality of the titlebar including the ability to quickly close (middle click?) and move a window by clicking and draging the taskbar button.
That "middle click" suggestion was already suggested by some one else and i already thought about it, but did not immediately saw a solution to it. That "dragging" suggestion: that's again rather weird to use i guess.

In any case, thank you for the suggestions, i'll put them on the todo list but with a lower priority. ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DrWorm » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:46 am

My first reaction was "Wow" .... :D

This will be weird to use i think.

Yeah, it's not exactly a proven concept and would perhaps be completely unusable. At the very least it will alienate many users :)

I'm playing with the lack of title bar in a LiteStep theme I'm making, where the desktop area is increased 20px off the top of the screen so you can't see the title bar on maximised applications. It will make for very easy access to the menu bar of maximised windows. Then the corners of the screen minimise, restore, maximise and close the active window. I haven't finished making the changes so I'm not sure how usuable it will be.
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:38 pm

Let me know how it turns out. ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DrWorm » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:06 am

Failed already :)

Apparently it's not possible to make a desktop larger than the screen resolution. There is a utility to remove the title bar of windows but the person who informed me of it couldn't remember its name.

However, using corners of the screen to max/min/close etc works nicely. I'm using a couple of LS modules for this functionality, though SE may be more reliable for this purpose. With my current implementation sometimes I need to click a few times before the window recieves the command.
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:53 am

Yes, making the desktop larger than the screen resolution is indeed a bit tricky. But using that method to get rid of the titlebar isn't a good method, because you still have the title bar on non-maximized windows.

I have put this thread on the todo list and see what i implement of it ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Robin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:47 am

Marc G wrote:
That "middle click" suggestion was already suggested by some one else and i already thought about it, but did not immediately saw a solution to it. That "dragging" suggestion: that's again rather weird to use i guess.

In any case, thank you for the suggestions, i'll put them on the todo list but with a lower priority. ;)

I use the middle-click to close my tabs in Opera and always try to close my windows in the taskbar the same way. It would be really great if ShellEnhancer could make this possible.

I'm quite sure that a lot of skilful tweakers stumble across your app, so if you express your lack of knowledge concerning a solution I will be sure that there are a lot of people trying to help you find the solution (including me, not being skilful but anyway...)
Robin

Return to SE - Wishlist