my misc wishlist

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for ShellEnhancer here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

my misc wishlist

Postby atariboy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:15 pm

I am amazed at how many great features are crammed into ShellEnhancer! thanks!

now the wish list :)

alt-tab switcher:
- 32x32 icons in list mode
- XP themed version would be better layed out like the non themed version + it doesn't quite fit inside the themse borders on my current theme (OpusOS)
- an option to remove the 'note:' text
- alt-` cycles the oposite direction(same as alt-shift-tab but quicker/easier)
- option to show app name instead of what its title bar name is
- in list mode, the icon gets a selection box. could this be extended to got over the text also? (maybe an option?)
- option to always show window contents preview. currently when minimised, it only shows a small title bar
- only display one item in list per app

Mosaic switcher:
- option to always show window contents preview. currently when a window is minimised, it only shows a small title bar
- force windows of an app into 1 tile of the mosaic
- option to show name of app at all times, not just in tooltips
- keep a certain app in the same mosaic (helps to 'learn' where the app is)
- make it faster? (perhaps cache screenshots before mosaic is invoked)
atariboy

Re: my misc wishlist

Postby Marc G » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:56 pm

atariboy wrote:I am amazed at how many great features are crammed into ShellEnhancer! thanks!

:D

atariboy wrote:now the wish list :)

alt-tab switcher:
- 32x32 icons in list mode

Someone else already mentioned this and it has been added to the todo list. It will be an option in a future release.

atariboy wrote:- XP themed version would be better layed out like the non themed version + it doesn't quite fit inside the themse borders on my current theme (OpusOS)

I don't quite understand ... the non themed version and the themed version are layed out almost the same. What do you prefer in the non-themed version?
I know that it doesn't fit with all possible skins. My Alt Tab replacement is based on the Windows XP start menu theme. Of course, some 3rd party themes change the look of the startmenu rather drastically. There is nothing I can do about this. If it bothers you too much, I suggest you disable the theming of the ShellEnhancer Enhanced Alt+Tab taskswitcher.

atariboy wrote:- an option to remove the 'note:' text

Yes, the "note:" text is quite useless. I will remove it and put the note in the help file and perhaps in the settings window.

atariboy wrote:- alt-` cycles the oposite direction(same as alt-shift-tab but quicker/easier)
- option to show app name instead of what its title bar name is
- in list mode, the icon gets a selection box. could this be extended to got over the text also? (maybe an option?)

Nice suggestions. I've added them to the todo list.

atariboy wrote:- option to always show window contents preview. currently when minimised, it only shows a small title bar

That's not possible :(
The only way that it is possible on the current versions of Windows to get a screenshot of a specific window is by using a specific function supplied by Microsoft. Unfortunately, this function is not able to capture minimized windows and source code is not available :(

atariboy wrote:- only display one item in list per app

Might be a good idea, but which window should be activated when you switch to that app?

atariboy wrote:Mosaic switcher:
- option to always show window contents preview. currently when a window is minimised, it only shows a small title bar

That's not possible :(
(see reason above)

atariboy wrote:- force windows of an app into 1 tile of the mosaic

I'll think about this one. How should i display multiple windows of 1 app inside 1 tile?

atariboy wrote:- option to show name of app at all times, not just in tooltips

Good idea. I've put it on the todo list.

atariboy wrote:- keep a certain app in the same mosaic (helps to 'learn' where the app is)

That would be a bit difficult to use i guess ... the user has to say which app should be displayed in which tile ...

atariboy wrote:- make it faster? (perhaps cache screenshots before mosaic is invoked)

I don't think that's possible, because i use a Microsoft supplied function (see above) to create screenshots of a certain window. Caching the windows before showing the mosaic will cause a big delay before the mosaic will be shown :(

Thank you for all these suggestions. I really appreciate it :)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Philip » Wed May 18, 2005 7:13 pm

I guess you could try a tweak to get around the minimized.

Hook the minimize-function, whenever a window gets minimized take a screenshot & allow to minimize. These can be used to cache windows, and allow previews of minimized apps. Allow for a cyclic-buffer with.. say 4-5 screens, discarding the oldest. Could this work?
Philip

Postby Marc G » Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 pm

Philip wrote:I guess you could try a tweak to get around the minimized.

Hook the minimize-function, whenever a window gets minimized take a screenshot & allow to minimize. These can be used to cache windows, and allow previews of minimized apps. Allow for a cyclic-buffer with.. say 4-5 screens, discarding the oldest. Could this work?

That might work, but I'm afraid that you'll notice some lag when you minimize the window because of the printwindow function.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Philip » Thu May 19, 2005 5:31 pm

Marc G wrote:That might work, but I'm afraid that you'll notice some lag when you minimize the window because of the printwindow function.

Ah.. that's to bad. I never used that function, but it shouldn't have to be that slow. The window should already be rendered and a fast memcopy is all that's needed. Microsoft must've messed it up :cry:
Philip

Postby Marc G » Thu May 19, 2005 7:40 pm

Philip wrote:
Marc G wrote:That might work, but I'm afraid that you'll notice some lag when you minimize the window because of the printwindow function.

Ah.. that's to bad. I never used that function, but it shouldn't have to be that slow. The window should already be rendered and a fast memcopy is all that's needed. Microsoft must've messed it up :cry:

Yes, it should be fast, and I think/hope that the PrintWindow issues are solved in Longhorn. Another issue with PrintWindow is that sometimes part of the "screenshot" is black :(
Anyway, I use the PrintWindow because the window does not to be visible to let it work. I could of course use another method that does a simply BitBlt of part of the screen, but then only the parts of the window that are visible will be captured... so that's also not an ideal solution either :(
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Wishlist