Older OS support

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about Wallpaper Cycler that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Older OS support

Postby Max » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Just a quick question: is the latest wallpaper cycler (3.5) still running under windows 98SE? ( Yes, I still use 98. Yes, I use XP too, and I see not a single reason to switch over to it. No, you didn't just mention Vista, or else... :twisted: ) The 3.1 version did run, but the new one seems to refuse. Is that by design?
Max

Postby Marc G » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:00 am

It's not "by design", however, the latest version was not tested anymore on Windows 9x.
After a quick check, the first thing is that the new installer is installing some DLLs on the wrong place for 9x.
It might be possible to get it running by manually changing the location of these DLLs.
The setup of WPC is installing the following DLLs in subfolders of the WPC installation folder:

{app}\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
{app}\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\msvcp80.dll
{app}\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\msvcr80.dll

{app}\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\mfc80.dll
{app}\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.manifest

{app}\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC\MFC80ENU.dll
{app}\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC\Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC.manifest

( {app} is the folder where you installed WPC. )
It might be possible (although not tested) to get WPC up and running by copying all these *.manifest and *.dll files and just put them directly in the {app} folder instead of in subfolders.

If you try this procedure, please let me know if it works.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Max » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:56 am

OK, thanks, nice to know it's not intentional; copying those files over to the app folder was the first thing I tried. It took away the first error messages complaining that the files were missing, but it still left me in the end with a "The WALLPAPERCYCLER LITE.EXE file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:CheckTokenMembership." error. The ADVAPI32.DLL that I have (both in system and the app folder) is version 4.80.1675. I'm not aware of a newer version for win98. Am I wrong? :(
Max

Postby Marc G » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:33 am

Thanks for the update.
Unfortunately this is bad news, the "missing export" error is a bit of a problem. It seems that I used the function CheckTokenMembership which is only available on Windows 2000 and later and since I never tested it on Windows 9x anymore, I didn't notice this problem. So it seems that WPC 3.5.0.97 doesn't work anymore on 9x :(
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - General