black screen

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about Wallpaper Cycler that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

black screen

Postby Jms510 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:57 pm

i am getting a black screen when i try to cycle wallpaper.

i tried turning of layouts per earlier post (Nov 2005) but it's not helping.

i am using v 3.0 trial.

help!

thanks.
Jms510

Postby Marc G » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:37 am

This might have several causes:
  • Wallpaper Cycler is not in cycling mode. To do so, click on "Tools > Start Cycling"
  • CPU monitoring is enabled and you are running some background processes causing the CPU to be at full load (for example: a Seti@home client). Disable CPU monitoring with "File > Document Settings > CPU Monitoring".
  • It might be caused by some bug in Windows XP. Try to right-click the desktop and choose "Arrange Icons By...". In that sub-menu there is an item called "Lock Web Items on Desktop". Even if this is not checked, check it, then uncheck it and try to cycle again.
  • It can also be caused by a restriction in the Group Policy (gpedit.msc) set by your administrator. Contact your administrator and ask him to set "Active Desktop Wallpaper" and "Allow only bitmapped wallpaper" to "Not Configured" in the "User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Active desktop" branch of the policy.
  • It might be caused by a registry setting.
    (NOTE: Only make changes to the registry if you know what you are doing as it might damage your Windows installation!)
    In the following registry keys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop and/or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
    delete "NoChangingWallPaper" or change the value to 0.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

black screen

Postby Jms510 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:32 pm

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and that seems to have worked. Thanks!
Jms510

Re: black screen

Postby Marc G » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:24 pm

Jms510 wrote:I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and that seems to have worked. Thanks!

If it happens again, please try one of the things in my previous reply.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - General