Showing previous wallpaper

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about Wallpaper Cycler that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Showing previous wallpaper

Postby JimmyNeutron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Marc G wrote:No, that is not currently possible. Showing the previous would be possible, but showing the next wallpaper will not always be correct, for example when combined with time limits on wallpaper categories.

First of all, wonderful piece of software.

Reading though some other posts I came across a post about displaying the previous wallpaper, I cannot see this option in the layout designer, could you enlighten me on how to achieve this?

Thank you
JimmyNeutron

Re: Showing previous wallpaper

Postby Marc G » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:21 pm

That forum thread was just discussing those options. They are not available in Wallpaper Cycler at this time.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby JimmyNeutron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, will this be implemented in a future version ?
JimmyNeutron

Postby Marc G » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:58 pm

Maybe, but it's more complicated that it seems. As you know, Wallpaper Cycler can render several wallpapers on the desktop with different wallpaper objects on your layout. Now, what should Wallpaper Cycler do when you ask it to render the previous wallpaper somewhere small on the desktop? Which of the previous should it be? I'm thinking about how to provide this option in the GUI. Any suggestions?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby JimmyNeutron » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Marc G wrote:Maybe, but it's more complicated that it seems. As you know, Wallpaper Cycler can render several wallpapers on the desktop with different wallpaper objects on your layout. Now, what should Wallpaper Cycler do when you ask it to render the previous wallpaper somewhere small on the desktop? Which of the previous should it be? I'm thinking about how to provide this option in the GUI. Any suggestions?

I would suggest having a default option of the last wallpaper displayed, you could offer other options such as those already available such as random, random from category, tags etc as well as a custom offset say the 5th last displayed, these could be easily displayed and chosen using the current wallpaper properties options that are used in the layout editor.
JimmyNeutron

Postby Marc G » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:15 am

That was not the issue I was explaining.
Suppose you have a layout that is displaying 4 different wallpapers.
Now, if you create another layout and you say to one of the wallpaper objects on that layout to display the previous wallpaper. The problem is which previous wallpaper to display, since the previous layout contained 4 wallpapers at the same time.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby JimmyNeutron » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Marc G wrote:That was not the issue I was explaining.
Suppose you have a layout that is displaying 4 different wallpapers.
Now, if you create another layout and you say to one of the wallpaper objects on that layout to display the previous wallpaper. The problem is which previous wallpaper to display, since the previous layout contained 4 wallpapers at the same time.

I would suggest for the above look through the layout for wallpaper objects and either open a dialog box with all the wallpapers shown as images or create your own user defined control to do this.

For certain layouts say were you have 1 main wallpaper that covers the whole screen this wallpaper could be be the default selection or when you have many wallpapers use my suggestion from above
JimmyNeutron

Return to WPC - General