Problems after hibernation

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about Wallpaper Cycler that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Problems after hibernation

Postby Bonaparty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 am

Hi,

After looking several years for a program like this (no kiddin') I finally have been able to setup my wallpapers on my HTPC the way I want it, that is:
Have a 'morning' wallpaper from the 'morningwallpaper' folder on my computer, then have WPC change the wallpaper to an 'evening' wallpaper from the 'eveningwallpaper' folder on my compter and then .... well, you get the picture (no pun intended). This is accomplished by using the 'cycle at specific times' option in conjunction with the 'wallpaper categories-->time limit' options.

But there is one problem, when my pc comes out of hibernation, the current wallpaper is often not corresponding to the time of day anymore (Pc goes into hibernation in the morning, wakes up in the evening).
A solution would be for WPC to check the time when the pc gets out of hibernation, and then check if the current wallpaper is still from the corresponding folder or check if the 'cycle at specific times' conditions are still met. An other solution would be to let my hibernation software (Autoshutdownmanager) communicate with WPC after a hibernation resume and give it a command to cycle the wallpaper. But I don't know how to do that :)

The first solution seems to me very simple, but I'm not a programmer. There already is an option called 'Cycle once and do not exit at Windows logon'. Could you add 'Cycle once and do not exit at Windows Resume'? I saw a forumpost from 2006 on this board, asking for the same kind of feature. I hope you will consider it!

Thanks in advance,
BParty
Bonaparty

Re: Problems after hibernation

Postby Marc G » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 pm

If you go to Tools > Program Settings > Miscellaneous there are a few options.
Try to test the options "Rerender wallpaper when resuming the computer" and "cycle wallpaper when display settings changed".
Maybe one of these solves your problem.
If not, let me know.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Bonaparty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

"cycle wallpaper when display settings changed"

This seems to do the trick! I tested it yesterday and it did not seem to work, tested it again today and it worked. (The other option you suggested was already active).

Thanks a lot,
BParty
Bonaparty

Postby Marc G » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm

It's a workaround.
When I find time I will add a new option "cycle when resuming".
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Bonaparty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm

That would be nice. I rarely completely shut down any of my computers any more.
Bonaparty

Postby Bonaparty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Marc,

Just wanted to let you know that this workaround does not work 100% of the time. I'm unable to determine why it is not working all the time. I hope that you will include an option to 'switch wallpaper after resume' in your next version.

Thanks in advance.
Bonaparty

Postby vyr » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 pm

no, 'workaround' is not working - after resuming from hibernation I login to my account and WPC is not reacting any way.
vyr

Return to WPC - General