Periodically all my deleted images come back

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Periodically all my deleted images come back

Postby jstar » Wed May 10, 2006 8:58 pm

I wish I could give you better info than this, but I think it has somehting to do with file size of the wcl... or maybe the app just hates me. Anyway, here are the steps I follow:
1. I add images recursively from my "My Pictures" directory. If I load a lot, like several thousand, I can reproduce this pretty regularly
2. As pictures cycle through, if one comes up that I don't like, I just delete either the picture or subcategory from the Wallpaper Cycler 3.1 console.
3. I go forward to the next image, if I like this one I do a ctrl+s and close the window. If I don't want that picture either, I'll delete it and then go through the process again.

This all works fine, but then in a few days or weeks, suddenly all of my deleted pictures will come back and I'll go back to the original state with all imported pictures participating in the cycle. Needless to say, this is very frustrating since I had already cleaned out the pictures I didn't want to see.

Have you heard of this or experienced it before? I'm on Windows 2003 Server and am running 3.1 the freebie. I'm willing to purchase the full product, but only if I'm sure that I'm not going to see this problem.

Thanks
jstar

Postby Marc G » Thu May 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Actually, this behaviour is not a bug but a feature. It's called "Automatically synchronize folder links".
When you recursively import your pictures, Wallpaper Cycler asks you if you want to create folder links from the created categories to the actual folders on your harddisk. From that moment, Wallpaper Cycler will monitor that folder for any changes. Once a change is detected, Wallpaper Cycler will synchronize the folders which means all files not in the wallpaper list will be added by the synchronization process.

There are 2 possible solutions:
  • When importing your images recursively, disable the option to link the categories to the folders. OR
  • Go to Tools > Program Settings > Folder Synchronization and disable "Automatically synchronize folder links".
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports