AutoSync Save

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for Wallpaper Cycler here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

AutoSync Save

Postby theUKdude » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:32 pm

I would be nice to have a 'Save List' button in the dialog box at the end of the autosync, as I'm assuming the list doesn't actually save anything it has added during the autosync...

and maybe be able to set the timing of the sync process. If I go to a website and download 10 wallpapers, I generally have to download them one by one, which means I have to click 'ok' on the autosync dialog 10 times ... if I could set the autosync to just check for new additions every 5 minutes or 10 mintues or 30 minutes etc, I would only have to click 'ok' once (or 'Save to list', if my above suggestion makes sense)...

theUKdude
theUKdude

Re: AutoSync Save

Postby Marc G » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:19 pm

theUKdude wrote:I would be nice to have a 'Save List' button in the dialog box at the end of the autosync, as I'm assuming the list doesn't actually save anything it has added during the autosync...

I don't think that is nescessary. When you have created a wallpaper list and have already saved it once, Wallpaper Cycler will auto-save the list when it shuts down. Of course, when it crashes the new images are lost from the list. I don't like the idea of a button, but perhaps I'll simply add an extra option to auto-save the list after an auto-sync. I have added the later to the todo list.

theUKdude wrote:and maybe be able to set the timing of the sync process. If I go to a website and download 10 wallpapers, I generally have to download them one by one, which means I have to click 'ok' on the autosync dialog 10 times ... if I could set the autosync to just check for new additions every 5 minutes or 10 mintues or 30 minutes etc, I would only have to click 'ok' once (or 'Save to list', if my above suggestion makes sense)...

That's a nice suggestion. I have added it to the todo list.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby theUKdude » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:30 pm

Marc G wrote:When you have created a wallpaper list and have already saved it once, Wallpaper Cycler will auto-save the list when it shuts down.

I figured that may be the case, just wasn't sure after noticing the small asterisk next to the filename in the titlebar after autosync.

Of course, the timed sync wouldn't give any allowance to the fact that the user may shut down before the sync has taken place, so may have to rethink that one too ... seemed like a good idea at the time, hehe. Not sure if it is possible to autosync on shutdown? Would the process of the computer shutting down cock things up?

theUKdude
theUKdude

Postby Marc G » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 pm

theUKdude wrote:Of course, the timed sync wouldn't give any allowance to the fact that the user may shut down before the sync has taken place, so may have to rethink that one too ... seemed like a good idea at the time, hehe. Not sure if it is possible to autosync on shutdown? Would the process of the computer shutting down cock things up?

Of course, when you add new wallpapers to a folder and you shutdown the PC before the auto-sync has kicked in, those images won't be detected. It is a bad idea to auto-sync on shutdown because it might slow down the shutdown process. Of course, the missed images will be automatically detected when you add another new wallpaper and the auto-sync kicks in. Or you can always manually resync the the folder.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby theUKdude » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:48 pm

Marc G wrote:Of course, when you add new wallpapers to a folder and you shutdown the PC before the auto-sync has kicked in, those images won't be detected.

OK, valid point. It would be good if the auto-sync was increased timewise though, to say, every 5 minutes? (I guess this may even decrease the overhead on the system a little ... albeit very slightly ... no real idea of what I'm talking about, hehe :oops: )

Marc G wrote:When you have created a wallpaper list and have already saved it once, Wallpaper Cycler will auto-save the list when it shuts down.

theUKdude
theUKdude

Postby Marc G » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:13 pm

[ split thread ]
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Wishlist