WPC Improvement Suggestions

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for Wallpaper Cycler here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

WPC Improvement Suggestions

Postby SlrG » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:37 pm

WPC is a great program. But there are still some things that should be improved to make it even better. :)

First something about how I want to use WPC: On the hdd my walls are ordered by movie, series, artist, whatever. Erotic, winter, christmas, whatever walls have an own category but no separate directory on hdd. Winter, christmas walls have a time limit to display only in winter, on christmas.

Now the improvement suggestions:

When adding folder links to a newly created category there should be an option to recursively add folders below the given parent folder.

When browsing wallpapers in the list the preview on the right side is sometimes to small to recognize details of the wallpaper. One can press enter, minimize WPC and have a look. But thats too much trouble for a large number of walls. The space bar is not used yet, so pressing this could open a larger preview. Pressing ESC or space bar again could close the preview. That way it would be easier to determine if the white dots in the wall are really snow and the wall should be moved to the winter category.

There should be a context menu option to move a wallpaper to a certain top level category. For folders with a large number of subdirectories it's a lot of up and down scrolling to find the winter, christmas category.

In the tray icon context menu there should be an option to quickly disable top level categories. To keep the menu small the user should be able to choose which categories he wants to disable that way. For me it would be the erotic category. ;) Of course if the actual wallpaper is in the disabled category the wall has to be replaced by a wall from an enabled one. If there are hotkeys assignable to the quick disable function it would be even better.

If a category has a large number of files WPC jumps to the top of the list each time a wall is moved to another category. That makes it harder to continue the check of the files. One has to scroll down again to find the last checked wallpaper and continue from that point. WPC should mark/preview the next file in the list after a file is moved to another category.

When synchronizing folder links WPC should detect newly created subdirs in recursive folders and include those in the synchronization.

When synchronizing folder links WPC should check if the found files are already in one of the other categories. At the moment, moving a winter wall from a nature subfolder to winter is futile. If one synchronizes the nature folder all winter walls will be added again and show outside of the winter time limit. Only really new files should be added.

When synchronizing folder links WPC should add a reference to all newly found files to a category "not rated/sorted". That way the user doesn't need to remember the names and directories of a potential high number of newly added not rated/sorted files.

Non existing wallpapers should be automatically removed from the cycling list. No need to scan the whole list every time. Only if a wallpaper is to be displayed and found deleted from hdd.

The user should be able to place wallpaper references in more than one category. If there is an erotic winter wall it should display in winter but only if erotic is enabled. If erotic is disabled it shouldn't display even if it is winter time.

Animated gif backgrounds should be possible.

Well thats it. Of course its a lot of work to implement those. :roll: But I hope you'll try. I believe them to be worthwhile improvements.

Michael
SlrG

Re: WPC Improvement Suggestions

Postby Marc G » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:24 pm

SlrG wrote:WPC is a great program. But there are still some things that should be improved to make it even better. :)
Every program can always be improved :)

SlrG wrote:When adding folder links to a newly created category there should be an option to recursively add folders below the given parent folder.
If you use the recursively add folder option, all subfolders will be imported, so I don't quite understand this.

SlrG wrote:When browsing wallpapers in the list the preview on the right side is sometimes to small to recognize details of the wallpaper. One can press enter, minimize WPC and have a look. But thats too much trouble for a large number of walls. The space bar is not used yet, so pressing this could open a larger preview. Pressing ESC or space bar again could close the preview. That way it would be easier to determine if the white dots in the wall are really snow and the wall should be moved to the winter category.
If you right click on a wallpaper in the wallpaper list you can select "view file" which will open the file in an external viewer, but this might not be that convenient. Using the spacebar to quickly get a big preview is a good suggestion. I'll add it to the todo list.

SlrG wrote:There should be a context menu option to move a wallpaper to a certain top level category. For folders with a large number of subdirectories it's a lot of up and down scrolling to find the winter, christmas category.
So you want a context menu that contains all the toplevel categories?

SlrG wrote:In the tray icon context menu there should be an option to quickly disable top level categories. To keep the menu small the user should be able to choose which categories he wants to disable that way. For me it would be the erotic category. ;) Of course if the actual wallpaper is in the disabled category the wall has to be replaced by a wall from an enabled one. If there are hotkeys assignable to the quick disable function it would be even better.
That's also a good idea. Implementing the hotkey part of it would be the easiest to implement i think.

SlrG wrote:If a category has a large number of files WPC jumps to the top of the list each time a wall is moved to another category. That makes it harder to continue the check of the files. One has to scroll down again to find the last checked wallpaper and continue from that point. WPC should mark/preview the next file in the list after a file is moved to another category.
That's a bug, thanks for mentioning it.

SlrG wrote:When synchronizing folder links WPC should detect newly created subdirs in recursive folders and include those in the synchronization.
Indeed, that is already on the todo list.

SlrG wrote:When synchronizing folder links WPC should check if the found files are already in one of the other categories. At the moment, moving a winter wall from a nature subfolder to winter is futile. If one synchronizes the nature folder all winter walls will be added again and show outside of the winter time limit. Only really new files should be added.
That would be nice, but it means that when a new wallpaper is detected it needs to be searched in all other categories if it is in some other category. I'll add it to the todo list.

SlrG wrote:When synchronizing folder links WPC should add a reference to all newly found files to a category "not rated/sorted". That way the user doesn't need to remember the names and directories of a potential high number of newly added not rated/sorted files.
That's also a nice idea. However, this will require some work, since I need to implement a reference kind of wallpaper.

SlrG wrote:Non existing wallpapers should be automatically removed from the cycling list. No need to scan the whole list every time. Only if a wallpaper is to be displayed and found deleted from hdd.
Is on the todo list.

SlrG wrote:The user should be able to place wallpaper references in more than one category. If there is an erotic winter wall it should display in winter but only if erotic is enabled. If erotic is disabled it shouldn't display even if it is winter time.
This goes together with the "not rated/sorted" category, since I also need reference wallpapers for that feature.

SlrG wrote:Animated gif backgrounds should be possible.
Animated gifs are not possible anymore with the current versions of Wallpaper Cycler, because they allow you to use layouts to render all kinds of things on the desktop (Calendars, quotes, RSS feeds, ...) and this cannot be done fast enough to allow animated gifs as background.

SlrG wrote:Well thats it. Of course its a lot of work to implement those. :roll: But I hope you'll try. I believe them to be worthwhile improvements.
I appreciate all the suggestions :)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby SlrG » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Thanks for the quick answer!

SlrG wrote:When adding folder links to a newly created category there should be an option to recursively add folders below the given parent folder.
Marc G wrote:If you use the recursively add folder option, all subfolders will be imported, so I don't quite understand this.

The first thing a user does after installing the program, is probably creating categories. Clicking on Add Category there's a window to set the name of the category, a description and at the bottom a button to Manage Folder Links.

But at the moment there's no way to add a recursive folder using that dialog. One has to close the Add Category Window. Then by using the + symbol or right clicking it is possible to add recursive folders. Thats fine, but not very consistent.

SlrG wrote:There should be a context menu option to move a wallpaper to a certain top level category. For folders with a large number of subdirectories it's a lot of up and down scrolling to find the winter, christmas category.
Marc G wrote:So you want a context menu that contains all the toplevel categories?

For me that would work, as I have only 8 top level categories. But other users may have more, so the context menu might get cluttered up.

It would be nice to have a function to add whatever category to the context menu. Of course it should be possible to remove it if it's not needed anymore. So the user may choose which ones he wants to add there and which ones not.

SlrG wrote:When synchronizing folder links WPC should add a reference to all newly found files to a category "not rated/sorted". That way the user doesn't need to remember the names and directories of a potential high number of newly added not rated/sorted files.
Marc G wrote:That's also a nice idea. However, this will require some work, since I need to implement a reference kind of wallpaper.

As reference a second link to the same wallpaper should be sufficient.

Whats happening now. (Correct me if I'm wrong.): You have a database file where every category is stored with a list of all paths to the wallpapers contained. Every newly detected readable graphics file gets added to the category it belongs to, based on its path.

What should be done: Add it based on path but add the same link to a category "not rated/sorted". There will be two links to the wall in the database. Exclude the "not rated/sorted" category from the cycling. The user may now look through the list. If he does not, it doesn't matter as one of the links is placed by folder structure and will be choosen randomly like every other wall.

If the user browses the list and decides all walls are okay to be placed into folder based categories he clicks "empty list" and all second links will be deleted from the "not rated/sorted" list.

If he decides one wallpaper needs to be moved to a not folder based category he'll get asked if ALL links should be moved into the new folder.
    If yes the link in the folder based category will be deleted and the "not rated/sorted" link will be moved to the choosen category.
    If no only the "not rated/sorted" link will be moved to the choosen category. The folder based link will stay.

SlrG wrote:The user should be able to place wallpaper references in more than one category. If there is an erotic winter wall it should display in winter but only if erotic is enabled. If erotic is disabled it shouldn't display even if it is winter time.
Marc G wrote:This goes together with the "not rated/sorted" category, since I also need reference wallpapers for that feature.

As above, IMHO the reference only needs to be a second link to the same wallpaper.

SlrG wrote:Animated gif backgrounds should be possible.
Marc G wrote:Animated gifs are not possible anymore with the current versions of Wallpaper Cycler, because they allow you to use layouts to render all kinds of things on the desktop (Calendars, quotes, RSS feeds, ...) and this cannot be done fast enough to allow animated gifs as background.

I see. Well it would have been nice, but it's not that important. Of the 13212 walls I have there are only 4 animated gifs. Thanks for the explanation. Of course it should be possible to let the user choose. Either layouts or animated gif backrounds. :)

Michael
SlrG

Postby Marc G » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:57 am

SlrG wrote:The first thing a user does after installing the program, is probably creating categories. Clicking on Add Category there's a window to set the name of the category, a description and at the bottom a button to Manage Folder Links.

But at the moment there's no way to add a recursive folder using that dialog. One has to close the Add Category Window. Then by using the + symbol or right clicking it is possible to add recursive folders. Thats fine, but not very consistent.
Yes, but if you want to add a recursive folder, you should use the Wallpapers > Add Wallpaper > Add Folder Recursively feature.

Marc G wrote:So you want a context menu that contains all the toplevel categories?

SlrG wrote:For me that would work, as I have only 8 top level categories. But other users may have more, so the context menu might get cluttered up.

It would be nice to have a function to add whatever category to the context menu. Of course it should be possible to remove it if it's not needed anymore. So the user may choose which ones he wants to add there and which ones not.
Yes, that would be a better option.

SlrG wrote:As reference a second link to the same wallpaper should be sufficient.

Whats happening now. (Correct me if I'm wrong.): You have a database file where every category is stored with a list of all paths to the wallpapers contained. Every newly detected readable graphics file gets added to the category it belongs to, based on its path.

What should be done: Add it based on path but add the same link to a category "not rated/sorted". There will be two links to the wall in the database. Exclude the "not rated/sorted" category from the cycling. The user may now look through the list. If he does not, it doesn't matter as one of the links is placed by folder structure and will be choosen randomly like every other wall.
Yes, that's what i meant with a reference type of wallpaper. It is not enough to simply add the same wallpaper with same path again, since that would duplicate the thumbnail in the thumnail database and when you change settings of one wallpaper it won't be reflected in the other instances of that wallpaper. So, that's why I need a real reference type of wallpaper.

SlrG wrote:If the user browses the list and decides all walls are okay to be placed into folder based categories he clicks "empty list" and all second links will be deleted from the "not rated/sorted" list.

If he decides one wallpaper needs to be moved to a not folder based category he'll get asked if ALL links should be moved into the new folder.
    If yes the link in the folder based category will be deleted and the "not rated/sorted" link will be moved to the choosen category.
    If no only the "not rated/sorted" link will be moved to the choosen category. The folder based link will stay.
That's a good idea.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Wishlist