Import Folders and Categories

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for Wallpaper Cycler here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Import Folders and Categories

Postby Socrates1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:33 am

I have an idea that grew.

1) Import folders - Import folders based on a text files that have the full path. I have a few files in other groups that I would like to add to another group and haven't found an easy to do that. One way, perhaps the best because I can use the command prompt to get the folders I need then import that list into any category.

2) Add folders to categories based on keyword - Works great as an advanced option and if one is not possible. When adding folders to a category have a wild card search for folders that have the name the end user is seeking and added to the category that is selected.

3) Select multiple categories - This is if one or two is not possible. Select multiple folders enable, disable, delete, and add to categories.
Socrates1

Postby Marc G » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:47 am

I'm working now on the new version of Wallpaper Cycler and it will also contain the following 2 new feature (among a lot of other new features of course):
  • Assign tags to wallpapers
  • Search folders

The first feature allows you to assign tags to each wallpaper, for example "flowers", "cars", ... You can assign multiple tags to 1 wallpaper and can define as much tags as you want.
The second feature will allow you to create special search folders, for example you will be able to create a folder which will search all wallpapers with the tag "flowers" and show them in this search folder.

Most likely there will also be an option to create "shortcut"-like wallpapers in the categories. For example: you could create a shortcut in 1 category to a wallpaper in another category.

Do these new feature solve your problem?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Socrates1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:26 am

Yes, I think that will work since there is overlap between the main categories. Can the end user assign tags to more than one category at a time?
Socrates1

Postby Marc G » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am

Tags are going to be assignable to wallpapers. You can create your own tags and you can assign as many tags to a wallpaper as you want.
I didn't think about adding tags options to the categories themselves. Maybe that's also a good idea.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby TheBlackCat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:46 pm

At least for jpeg's there is a built-in tag structure. Several, actually (EXIF, IPTC, XMP). These innately support keywords, which would be good for your tags, and the data is stored inside the pictures themselves. Many other image formats have similar embedded metadata. If you aren't planning on doing it that way already, it might be a better to edit this data rather than storing them in the program for several reasons:

1. It doesn't require any additional files
2. If you uninstall and reinstall the program, reformat, or get a new computer you won't lose the data
3. You can share wallpapers between people and the tags will be shared as well
4. Many digital cameras, image editing programs, and image-organizing programs use one or more of the formats already, so many pictures may be pre-tagged. The tags you add will also be recognized by image organizers. Many of these "instant search" systems that are built into the latest operating systems and distributes separately also support image tags innately (I know for sure Vista and Google Desktop Seach do, I think others do as well).
5. You won't need to program any sophisticated method for tracking moved or renamed files
6. You could embed a keyword that the WPC will look for and identify as a wallpaper (maybe just having "wallpaper" or "wpc" as one of the keywords) and will automatically add any file with that tag to your list. Perhaps you could even specify what tag or tags to look for, or search your hard drive for specific tags.

Some people might not want to embed that sort of data for privacy reasons, so having an option regarding whether to use the built-in tags or storing the tags in a separate file might be the best way to go. Or store it separately and have an option to write it to the image when you want to. Or have all three options.
TheBlackCat

Postby Marc G » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:28 pm

The policy of Wallpaper Cycler is not to change any data of your images.

Also, if Wallpaper Cycler would like to save the tags back to the image, in which format: EXIF? IPTC? ...? It would not be recommended for Wallpaper Cycler to simply save the tags to all different formats. This would cause redundancy in the file.

So, basically I see only 1 solution: Wallpaper Cycler will NOT touch your images automatically and will just store the tags in the .WCL file and add an option somewhere that the user can use to tell Wallpaper Cycler to export the tags to the format (EXIF, IPTC, ...) that they want. Together with this extra option, another option can be enabled to let Wallpaper Cycler import the tags from EXIF, IPTC, ... when you are adding new images to WPC.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby TheBlackCat » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:58 pm

That sounds reasonable to me. WPC can already read EXIF data, right? Not for tags, but just in general.
TheBlackCat

Postby Johan G » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:30 pm

TheBlackCat wrote:That sounds reasonable to me. WPC can already read EXIF data, right? Not for tags, but just in general.

Yes, currently WPC can read EXIF data from images.

Right-click any image in WPC and click on "Show EXIF data..."
Johan G

Return to WPC - Wishlist