Sidebar

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for Wallpaper Cycler here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Sidebar

Postby TheBlackCat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:10 pm

This is probably another rather low-priority suggestion, but I was wondering if it is possible to include a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista? I just think that since there is this really handy way to interact with programs from the sidebar without having to use the tray icon or opening up the whole window, it would be a good idea to take advantage of it. It would probably be something pretty simple, including a "change wallpaper on/of" button (probably in the form of a pause button), a button that changes between random, random within category, and sequential wallpaper, a next and previous wallpaper button, and a jump to WPC screen saver button. As next/previous wallpaper in same category button might also be good. It could look like a media player control, with these graphical buttons:

-pause (to stop changing, this could change between "pause" and "play" depending on the current state like windows media player)
-skip forward/back (to change wallpaper)
-FF/RW (to change within category)
-shuffle on/off/within category (to control randomizer)
-a "full screen" button (to start the WPC screensaver immediately)
-and maybe a category dropdown menu to select the image category (or even specific image) you want

Nothing too fancy. Considering how few people have vista at this point it might be better waiting for a later update to include this, but it would be really handy at some point. Working with tray icons is so limiting and having to open up the whole window would be harder for simple tasks than this.
TheBlackCat

Postby Marc G » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:54 pm

That is a very good suggestion :)
However, I first have to fix Wallpaper Cycler under Vista. As it is right now, WPC does not work under Vista :( WPC seems to crash during startup of WPC on Vista. I'm trying to pinpoint the issue, however, it's difficult since WPC crashes even before it is fully booted...
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby TheBlackCat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:34 pm

I'm sorry. That sounds frustrating.
TheBlackCat

Postby Marc G » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Some good news :)
I finally found the issue with WPC under vista and will fix it for the next release.

I also played a few minutes with Windows Vista Sidebar gadgets and I must say that it's a pretty powerful and easy to use framework, so you can expect a Wallpaper Cycler Vista Gadget :D
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby TheBlackCat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:49 pm

Excellent. I can't wait.
TheBlackCat

Postby Marc G » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:48 am

I actually managed to create a patch to get the current public version of Wallpaper Cycler running on Windows Vista. This patch is in final testing and will be released soon.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Today a patch has been released to get Wallpaper Cycler 3.1.0.39 running on Windows Vista. Learn more about this patch.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Wishlist