Great, but affects performance

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about ShellEnhancer that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Great, but affects performance

Postby ctracey » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:12 pm

I really like ShellEnhancer, I was running it on a Win2K box with an AMD 3200, 1GB of Corsair XMS RAM, an NVIDIA 128MB GeForce4, and two WD Raptors in RAID1 mode. Unfortunately, ShellEnhancer really slowed down my machine. I only had two programs using the transparent mode when there were inactive (Explorer and IE), but the screen redraws were completely unacceptable ... we are talking 1 - 2 seconds when normally you barely notice a screen redraw.

Like I wrote above, I really like SE, but it needs to better manage it impact on a Win box.
ctracey

Postby Marc G » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:43 pm

I know that there can be an impact on performance when you use transparency. That's because of the way Windows handles transparent windows. Microsoft has put transparent windows into Windows starting from Windows 2000, but it isn't really well implemented because of the way the current windows handling happens. So, this means that using transparency on large windows can affect performance. Unfortunatly there is nothing I can do about this. We just have to wait until Windows Longhorn (the successor the Windows XP). With Longhorn transparent windows shouldn't affect performance at all, but for the moment we're stuck with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Conclusion: Using the transparency option on large windows isn't really useable for the time being. But, just disable all transparency setting in ShellEnhancer and it won't affect performance at all. There are still a lot of other usefull features in ShellEnhancer beside transparency ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - General