how do i keep the normal window management utilities?

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about ShellEnhancer that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

how do i keep the normal window management utilities?

Postby adante » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:51 am

Hi,

I thought I'd try shellenhancer because I was a big fan of windowtool, but I'm finding some wierd behaviour

Firstly, I can no longer move windows by clicking on the title bar. Infact, I can't do ANYTHING with the titlebar anymore - the "X" is greyed out, minimize and maximize don't do anything. In addition, I can no longer minimize tasks by clicking on their entry in the start bar (like, if you have focus on a window, and click the entry, it minimizes normally).

Also, when I right cilck on the start bar entries, no menu comes up. Actually, this is new behaviour.. when I used to right cilck, a small menu would come up but there would be no close/minimize/maximize options.

:shock:

So I assume this isn't intentional.. what is going on?

Running windows xp sp2, all patched to latest. Everything is pretty standard.

I reset the shellenhancer settings to default and rebooted, and get much the same behaviour. As long as I disable shell enhanced apps, everything is fine.

I also do occasionally use a program called synergy (software kvm), which may be interfering, I don't know.

cheers anyway - I will stick to enjoying the windowtool functionality for the moment
adante

Postby Marc G » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:42 am

This is very strange. I've never heard of any kind of this behavior. :?
Are you sure you are not running some custom shell instead of the default Windows XP shell?
You said if you disable Shell Enhanced Applications that everything is working normally. What kind of shell enhanced applications did you define?
Can you export your ShellEnhancer settings and send them to me? You can export them in the ShellEnhancer settings window and then click on the export button at the top of the window (below the white banner).
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby adante » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Marc G wrote:This is very strange. I've never heard of any kind of this behavior. :?
Are you sure you are not running some custom shell instead of the default Windows XP shell?
You said if you disable Shell Enhanced Applications that everything is working normally. What kind of shell enhanced applications did you define?
Can you export your ShellEnhancer settings and send them to me? You can export them in the ShellEnhancer settings window and then click on the export button at the top of the window (below the white banner).

Hi Marc G

I'm pretty sure I'm not running a custom shell. This is a standard windows install.

As for what I said about Shell Enhanced Applications.. actually, even when this is disabled, the right click menu on taskbar goes a bit crazy... when I right cilck sometimes some items are missing.. and then I click again and they are back, but maybe some others are missing... or maybe the menu does not come up again... its very strange

All of these pics taken with the Shell Enhanced Applications setting OFF

And once again I become unable to do things like move/resize/max/min windows. Even after I close Shell Enhancer the problem remains.. but as long as I close and restart the programs (and use task manager to make sure they are GONE and not persisting in background like WINWORD.exe), the menus are fine and everything is good again.

My config is here: http://adante.11011.net/pics/shellenh.ini

thanks for your help!
adante

Postby Marc G » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks to your ini file I found the problem.
Please go to the ShellEnhancer settings, find the "System/Window menus" settings group and do one of the following things:
  • If you don't want these menu items, disable "Add menu items to the system/window menu of each window".
  • Or, click on "change order of extra system/window menu items", click on "reorder..." and put at least 1 menu item in the right listbox with the arrows in the middle.

Let me know if this solves your problem.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - General