Feature Requests

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about ShellEnhancer that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Feature Requests

Postby icec » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:28 pm

I don't know if you are still developing this, but i just found it and am loving it.

A few feature requests, though:
Better handling options for which windows to apply transparency;
- Based on application instead of window title
- Or, have the current method use priorities in deciding the transparency amount, based on where their title falls first in the list of managed windows
Taskbar transparency
Make it not try to apply transparency to full screen windows, ie games, winamp AVS

I use just a blank window title in the managed list so it will apply transparency to all windows, but it would be nice if it could have this as a seperate feature, as the default transparency setting.

When I start Photoshop 7.01, the entire system crashes and reboots, but i guess this would be more of their problem... ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work!
icec

Postby Marc G » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:18 pm

Well, we're currently busy developing a new version of WindowTool, but it has been renamed to ShellEnhancer.
This new ShellEnhancer has a bunch of new features:
  • Automanaged windows can be set based on application .exe name, based on partial window title and based on window class name.
  • For each automanaged window you can specify:
    • Always on top
    • Allow X-Window style moving/resizing
    • Transparency
    • Transparency when window is not active
    • Color key (this color will be completely transparent)
    • (Minimize window to tray instead of taskbar <- not sure)
  • Ability to change the style of treeviews and listviews in a specified application. For example, you can use this to change the filelist of windows explorer so it selects the entire row when you select an item instead of just selected the name of the item.
  • An Alt+Tab TaskSwitcher replacement. This taskswitcher can be assigned to the Alt+Tab key only on Windows NT or later. But on Windows 9x you can assign another hotkey to use the NuonSoft TaskSwitcher. On XP this TaskSwitcher includes a small preview of the window to which you will be switched.
  • Make all the menus in all applications transparent.
  • Make a window transparent when moving or resizing the window with the X-Window style moving/resizing feature.
  • Write little macros. You can assign multiple hotkeys to a macro. A macro can do several things, included but not limited:
    • Insert text
    • Send keystroke
    • sleep x milliseconds
    • launch a specific control panel
    • Past/copy from clipboard
    • Minimize/maximize/restore a window
    • resize a window to a specific size
    • Run a program
    • Start screensaver, reboot, shutdown, poweroff, logoff, hibernate...

About that priority you mentioned: the rules are checked top to bottom. So the rule at the top has the highest priority.

Taskbar Transparency: I like that feature, it will be included ;)

About that fullscreen windows, I'll take a look at it, but I don't know if that's possible. But with the new ShellEnhancer, you can just insert a new rule for that window and disable all transparency ;)

Photoshop crashing :( but that's not really something i can solve :(

You said you use it on all windows. Does this still works fluently? What system do you have? CPU? Graphics card?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby icec » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:39 am

Yes, using it on all windows works great. There is some minor lag when scrolling picture-intensive websites when maximized, but nothing too noticeable. Other than that, it works very well on my system:

Athlon XP 2800+
1GB PC3200 RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I use the window key shortcuts +D and +M, which takes a second if there are more than a few windows open, instead of instantly. It is a lot of fun to be able to see windows a few layers down, though :)

As for all the features you mentioned, excellent! I will be anxiously awaiting the next release :)

Keep up the good work
icec

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:32 am

One more thing that I thought might be cool.. On focus and unfocus, windows could fade in and out of transparency.
Also, making the start menu transparent would be cool too.

:D

Postby Marc G » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:17 am

Anonymous wrote:One more thing that I thought might be cool.. On focus and unfocus, windows could fade in and out of transparency.

That would be nice indeed, but you'll need a pretty powerfull PC i guess. We'll experiment a bit with it ;)
Also, making the start menu transparent would be cool too.

:D

Will be considered ;)
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - General