Reorder Taskbar Buttons in Windows XP?

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for ShellEnhancer here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Postby jhildenbiddle » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:46 am

I would love to see the ability to reorder taskbar buttons in Windows XP added to ShellEnhancer. There is a program called ButtonBoogie that allows you to do this, but the program will not work with XP due to the way XP handles the taskbar (different than Win 95 -> 2000). After searching with a Google for a bit, all responses to "how do I reorder my taskbar buttons in XP" I found pretty much said "it can't be done". But, I noticed that when ShellEnhancer minimizes an application to the system tray and then maximizes it again, the taskbar button is moved to end of the tasbar buttons (to the right). So... why couldn't you ShellEnhancer fake reordering taskbar buttons by simply minimizing the necessary applications to the system tray, then reopening them in the appropriate order?

Here is a sample taskbar:

[Explorer] [Outlook] [Dreamweaver] [Photoshop]

If I wanted to swap Photoshop and Dreamweaver, ShellEnhancer could minimize both apps...

[Explorer] [Outlook]

... then reopen Photoshop...

[Explorer] [Outlook] [Photoshop]

... and then Dreamweaver.

[Explorer] [Outlook] [Photoshop] [Dreamweaver]

Dragging and dropping taskbar buttons to their desired position would be ideal (like ButtonBoogie), but a window containing all of the taskbar button names and up/down (or left/right) arrows would do.

Thanks... and keep up the good work. :)
jhildenbiddle

Postby Marc G » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:44 pm

That's a nice feature, but I'm not sure if it's possible on Windows XP.
We'll look into it.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:08 pm

We have implemented it with a list where you reorder the buttons, like you described. It will be included in the next release of ShellEnhancer 1.0.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:32 pm

Update: Here is a screenshot of the reorder taskbar buttons dialog (works on all versions of windows):

Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby jhildenbiddle » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:19 am

Excellent!

The re-order dialog box is a great start. As far as I know, ShellEnhancer will be the only utility that allows you to reorder taskbar icons with Windows XP.

In case you are interested, the program "ButtonBoogie" that I mentioned above allows you to do this under all Windows versions -except- XP. The only reason I mention it again is that it was integrated perfectly... simple dragging and dropping was all that was required to reorder taskbar icons. I know the Windows XP implementation of the taskbar is significantly different than Win9x/2k, but this type of integration would be ideal.

But first things first... ANY type of ability to reorder taskbar icons under Windows XP is a HUGE help. Thanks for integrating it into the product!

P.S. Once v1.0 is released, you can count on a donation from me. :)
jhildenbiddle

Postby Marc G » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:11 am

I'm glad you like it :D

This dialog is my first attempt at reordering the taskbar buttons on XP. I tried to implement drag and drop for XP but there where a lot of problems with buttons disappearing from the taskbar etc... But, drag-and-drop-reordering of taskbar buttons is still on the todo list, but it will be for the release after 1.0, if it's possible at all ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:21 am

This conflicts with ultramons multi-taskbar functionality. Normally each taskbar shows only the tasks in that window, upon running the switcher, all the icons from all windows show on the main taskbar...

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:00 am

Thank you for mentioning this. I'll see what I can do about this but I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do about it.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DrWorm » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 am

Re-ordering taskbar items via drag-n-drop is possible under Windows XP. I use 'Taskbar Shuffle' to do this. I would love to see this in SE.
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 am

Yes, it is on the todo list, but didn't had the time to figure out how to implement this for ShellEnhancer 3.0.0.91.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DrWorm » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 pm

That's great. I would hate to see your ToDo list :)
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:41 am

DrWorm wrote:That's great. I would hate to see your ToDo list :)
Lol, at some moments, I hate the todo list myself ;) Not to forget, that I have another big todo list for Wallpaper Cycler, another one for FileEngineer and yet another one for MediaBrowser ...
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Wishlist